Purpose of the Family Center
The Family Center for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs (Family Center) is the statewide parent-directed center within Children’s Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS).
The primary role of the Family Center is to offer emotional support, information and connections to community-based resources to families of children and youth with special health care needs. This includes all children who have, or are at an increased risk for: physical, developmental, behavioral or emotional conditions. Children are not required to be enrolled in CSHCS to receive services from the Family Center.
The Family Center also provides parental perspectives and input on health care matters while focusing on families’ access to coordinated systems of care. The Family Center operates from a family-centered care approach and promotes family/professional partnerships at all levels of care. This ensures that families participate in the decision making process, and are satisfied with the services they receive.
- Information and Referrals
- Sibling Support/Workshops
- Bereavement Support
- Support for Family/Youth Transition
- Peer Support through Family Phone Line
- Quarterly Newsletters
- Conference Scholarships
- Parent-to-Parent Support Network
- Parent Mentor Trainings
- Connect families to community-based support services and resources
The Family Phone Line
The Family Phone Line is intended for parents, caregivers, guardians and professionals who:
- Want to be matched with a Parent Mentor
- Want to get information about Local, State or National Resources
- Would like information on how to apply for conference scholarships
- Need to speak to a Parent Consultant within the Family Center
- Require assistance with interpreting services
- Would like to obtain information on enrolling CSHCS
- Need help to resolve issues related to CSHCS
- Want to learn more about the Family Center or CSHCS
- Would like to refer a family to the Family Center and their services
To contact the Family Center call the Family Phone Line at 800.359.3722
Family Leadership Network
POSITION TITLE: FAMILY LEADER
POSITION TYPE: VOLUNTEER
This is a volunteer position working with the Family Center for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs (Family Center) and Michigan Family to Family Health Information Center (Family to Family). Reimbursement for participation is outlined in the Family Leadership Network’s Reimbursement Policy.
This position will serve on the Family Leadership Network (FLN) for a two-year term as defined in the FLN Operating Guidelines. This position was created through a collaborative partnership between the Family Center and Family to Family.
In recognition of the importance of family involvement, the FLN was created out of the common need to obtain diverse perspectives from families and receive input on programs and special projects. Family perspectives are highly valued and contribute to a better understanding of experiences with healthcare and other systems in Michigan.
The primary role of the Family Center is to offer emotional support, information and connection to community-based resources to families of children and youth with special health care needs (CYSHCN). The Family Center ensures that the family perspective is included in the decision-making process and that families are satisfied with services received.
Family to Family shares information and resources on disability and health issues with families of CYSHCN. Health information, resources and training opportunities are available to Michigan families and providers through the F2FMichigan.org website.
- Participate in quarterly meetings including a yearly in-person meeting and FLN training.
- Act as a link and source of communication between the FLN and families, community-based agencies, health plans, and health departments in your region.
- Conduct outreach activities in your region to families, youth, providers, and other stakeholders regarding availability of Family to Family and Family Center information and resources.
- Identify local community partners and resources available to CYSHCN.
- Review and update information for your region that is posted on F2FMichigan.org website.
- Expand the F2FMichigan.org website by finding and sharing information about local resources, programs and services that are helpful to families of CYSHCN.
- Listen to feedback from families in your region so that you can represent a regional voice in the FLN on programs, priorities, and initiatives.
- Encourage families in your region to use resources and activities sponsored by the Family Center and Family to Family.
- Report and make recommendations regarding issues and priorities on topics impacting the Family Center, Family to Family, and families of CYSHCN in your region.
- Follow the Family Leadership Network Operating Guidelines, Reimbursement Policy, and Confidentiality Program/Agreement.
- Have personal experience as a parent, guardian or caregiver of a child or young adult (up to age 26) with a disability or other special needs; or be a youth (18 or older) with a disability or other special needs.
- Can commit to participate in quarterly conference calls and one in-person meeting per year.
- Willingness to share personal experience in a way that informs and empowers others.
- Interest in working with others to provide input on programs and services for CYSHCN.
- Open to diverse family cultures, values and beliefs.
- Use a family-centered, strength-based approach when interacting with others.
- Ability to communicate well, listen, and show respect for other’s views.
- Ability to participate in training opportunities.
- Ability to access the internet through home computer, public library, or personal telephone.
- Desire to grow as a Family Leader and be a part of a larger Family Leadership Network.
- Able to work as part of a team.
- 18 years or older.
Initial applications will be accepted until July 28th. Ongoing applications will be accepted after that date as positions open.
Interested individuals should submit an application packet to:
The Family Center
Lewis Cass Bldg
320 S. Walnut, 6th Floor
Lansing, MI 48913
For questions please call the Family Center Phone Line at 800.359.3722.